Friday, April 06, 2007

GCSE Leisure and Tourism Revision Byte

The revision material for GCSE Leisure and Tourism on the net is I always find disappointing. There is the revision pack from edexcel that can be downloaded here. The Work Related Learning Website for the North East is also a useful resource.

In comparison to Geography the big gap seems to exist that as a teacher I find frustrating is a BBC Bitesize resource to aid revision. This is not just in terms of its online content but also the lack of revision based videos that are so useful in other subjects.

So here is the plan....

I am going to make a series of my own Bitesize clips that I am calling a Revision Byte, aimed at GCSE Leisure and Tourism. These will eventually cover the whole qualification and will eventually be available on a separate blog or website (I will see how it goes).  I also will add pages to support revision and resources to download.

I will evaluate the project on this blog, and if interested you subscribe to blog update from the geography at the movies website.

As I will not and can not spend any money on this I will be searching the web for all sorts of video clips etc. So this will also be interesting to see what is actually out there that we as teachers can use and adapt. May it be legal or not?!?

Right so I have Windows Movie Maker to put the video together. Audacity to add narration to video. Blip.tv to host the video. All these products are free. I have also downloaded a trial of Camtasia Studio which is a great bit of software, but I did not use it in my first movie.

So with no further chat here is my first video, it focuses on the first part of "The Travel and Tourism Industry" part of the specification (page 14 for edexcel).

It states (copied directly from Edexcel spec)

You will need to know what tourism is. Tourism is a broad area to define but it usually covers temporary travel away from home or work. An essential part of tourism is the traveller’s intention to return home afterwards. The purpose of visits includes:


• a holiday
• sightseeing
• visiting an attraction
• visiting friends or relatives
• going to a sports event as a spectator or to participate
• business.